Lalith Narayan Mithila University (LNMU) is a long cherished dream come true for the people of Mithila.Many eminent people from Bihar like Dr. Amarnath Jha and Dr. A.S. Altekar and others proposed to establish a university. In 1947 a committee was established with Dr.Amarnath Jha as President, Pt. Girindra mishra and Gangadhar Mishra as Vice presidents to establish a university in Mithila.
In 1968 University Grants Commission (UGC) visited to examine the opportunities to establish a modern university. With the recommendations of UGC state government of Bihar also setup a committee to examine and the academic structure upcoming university.
In 1972 the ordinance was passed to establish a university at Darbhanga called Mithila University. After the demise of Pt. Lalit Narayan Mishra in 1975 the name Lalit Narayan Mithila University was established by ordinance in 1980.
- LNMU covers over 10 thousand KM2 and main campus covers more than 200 acres. LNMU offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses with more than 400 faculties in both teaching and research.
- LNMU offers B.A, B.Com, B.Sc, B.Ed and other courses under graduate courses on merit. LNMU also offers MBBS as Undergraduate degree, candidates who want to pursue should qualify NEET UG.
- LNMU offers PG courses like MA in Sanskrit, Hindi English and many more, MCom, MS/MD, MBA etc.
- LNMU also offers doctorial research on Humanities, Social science, History, Economics, Medicine and many more.
Basic eligibility for undergraduate courses like B.A, B.Com is 10+2 and for B.Sc 10+2 pass in science group is mandatory.
- For B.Tech students must qualify and secure good score in Common Admission Test conducted by LNMU itself.
- Students who want to pursue MBBS should secure a valid score in NEET UG exam.
- For B.Ed, students with any UG or PG are eligible to apply. Students must qualify Common Entrance Test conducted by LNMU.
- For Postgraduate courses like MA and other except MCA and MBA students can get admission on the basis of merit or
- For MCA, students should qualify in Common Admission Test for PG level, and for MBA students can apply through CMAT or MAT. Final admission is based on Personal interview and group discussion conducted by LNMU.
- For Doctorial research (PhD) basic eligibility is PG or M.Phil with minimum 55% aggregate or equivalent. Students should qualify Pre-PhD registration Test conducted by LNMU
* All the admissions are based on Merit only.
LNMU is facilitated with 2 libraries
Central library MKS institute of social science and research library Central Library is established in 1972 with different type of Text books, journals, research papers and many more adding time to time. Now there are more than 2 lakhs of collections in library. Central is a well furnished Air Conditioned reading hall for students, research scholars and faculty.
MKS institute of social science and research library is a donation to university from Darbhanga raj family. It is home for more than 80 thousand rare books. Books on foreign languages like German, Spanish, and Dutch etc.
University has 4 hostels one girls hostel and 3 boys hostels, attached with mess and 24 hours medical facility. TV and daily news papers are provided every day for recreation. Indoor and outdoor games facilities are providing for students.
LNMU is a public university established in 1972 with 21 PG departments, doctoral research in many streams like Humanities, social sciences, Economics and many more. There are total 24 degree and 23 B.Ed colleges 02 law colleges affiliated to LNMU University. University main campus is in more than 200 acres.
LNMU also offers distance education program through The Directorate of Distance Education in Lalit Narayan Mithila University. Now they are offering 21 courses through distance mode. Total numbers of seats are 500 and admissions are purely based on merit basis. Merit list will be prepared based on previous marks obtained by the student.